[Linux-PowerEdge] Extremely poor performance with LVM vs. RAW disc

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Thu Nov 1 16:32:23 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
| Once upon a time, Gregory Gulik <ggulik at reachmail.com> said:
| > You brought up possible bug so I checked the firmware.
| > Turns out it wasn't current so I upgraded and rebooted.
| > I'm still testing but it looks WAY faster.  It looks so much better
| > that
| > I'm not trusting my testing methodology.
|
| I'd check out bonnie++, which should be available packaged by your
| distribution of choice.
| --
| Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
| Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
| I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

You may wish to look at not using partitioning at all and instead use whole disk physical volumes.  It's much more efficient then partitions and doesn't suffer from the problems of misalignment.  File systems like XFS can use whole disk PVs much better as well.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

"The smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they’d already solved. They’re open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking." - Jeff Bezos