Dell PowerEdge 1950: udev hanging on boot on recent CentOS 5 kernels

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.com
Sat Mar 17 08:10:11 CDT 2012

Jeff Mendoza wrote:

>> ----
>> # cd /usr/libexec/dell_dup/dell_ie_nic_broadcom-1.1.0
>> # ./dup_inv -print
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <SVMInventory lang="en" />
>> # echo $?
>> 48
>> ----
>>
>> The dup_inv command returns an empty SVMInventory element and exit code
>> 48. Any idea what exit code 48 means?
>
> Empty inventory would mean that dup_inv couldn't find the nic. I'm not sure how to debug further.

I guess this is a bug in dup_inv then, maybe when combined with OMSA, since:

* 'lspci' has no trouble finding the Broadcom NIC
* 'yum install $(bootstrap_firmware)' had no trouble downloading the Broadcom NIC firmware update
* Andrea Iannucci reports the firmware update works after disabling OMSA and rebooting

We'll just have to try disabling OMSA and rebooting then? Can I file a bug report somewhere? Anyone else at Dell that might know what to check?

Thanks, Nils.