Degraded Enclosure and now RAID problems

Edward Ashley ned at conveylaw.com
Fri Mar 16 06:16:31 CDT 2012

Hi,
Thank you very much for both of your help. I removed the drive and re
inserted and the raid array rebuilt and everything looks good again. The
only problem now is that I still have this error:

Enclosure 0:1:0 [Backplane] on controller 0 is Degraded

Does anyone know what I need to do with this? Can I replace a backplane?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Ned

On 14 March 2012 12:11, Steff <steff at steff.name> wrote:

> On 14 March 2012 12:03, Mark Watts <m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com> wrote:
> >
> > My initial reaction would be to remove and reinsert that disk and see
> > if the array rebuilds onto it. Sometimes PERC cards do kick disks out
> > of arrays but then happily rebuild onto them and continue working for
> > years afterwards.
> > Depending on what state the disk is in you may need to initialise that
> > disk before re-adding it to the array.
>
> If you have something compatible and JBODish available, you can also
> plonk the suspect disk in that and ask it how it's feeling with
> smartmontools before taking a decision on reinserting it. Doing a
> RAID5 rebuild and risking provoking one of the remaining disks to
> throw a fit in the process only to discover that the rejected drive
> really was in its death throes would be really, really tiresome.

Edward Ashley

Telephone: 01633 261203
Email: ned at conveylaw.com

REVOLUTIONARY CONVEYANCING
Maxwell Chambers, 34-38 Stow Hill,Newport, South Wales, NP20 1JE
Telephone: 01633 22 33 44 Facsimile: 01633 261 261 Web: www.conveylaw.com
This e-mail and the information it contains (including any attachments) may be privileged and/or confidential. It is for the intended addressee(s) only. The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information it contains (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this communication in error please contact the sender or delete the message.
Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free and information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of the e-mail transmission. We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks.
Registered in England and Wales. Company Registration Number: 5306377
Directors: A full list of directors and licensed conveyancers are available upon request.