Dell PowerEdge 1950: udev hanging on boot on recent CentOS 5 kernels

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.com
Thu Mar 8 12:48:32 CST 2012

Jeff Mendoza wrote:

> inventory_firmware will show what you have installed

----
# inventory_firmware
Wait while we inventory system:
System inventory:
	BIOS = 1.2.0
	SAS/SATA Backplane 0:0 Backplane Firmware = 1.00
	System BIOS for PowerEdge 1950 = 1.2.0
	PERC 5/i Integrated Controller 0 Firmware = 5.0.2-0003
	ATLAS10K5_073SAS Firmware = bp00
----

The Broadcom NIC isn't mentioned by inventory_firmware, but lspci does see it:

----
# lspci | grep Broadcom
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev c3)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12)
08:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev c3)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12)
----

> update_firmware will show what you have installed, and if there are any matching updates in /usr/share/firmware

----
# update_firmware

Running system inventory...

Searching storage directory for available BIOS updates...
Checking BIOS - 1.2.0
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking SAS/SATA Backplane 0:0 Backplane Firmware - 1.00
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking System BIOS for PowerEdge 1950 - 1.2.0
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking PERC 5/i Integrated Controller 0 Firmware - 5.0.2-0003
	Available: pci_firmware(ven_0x1028_dev_0x0015_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f03) - 5.2.2-0072
	Found Update: pci_firmware(ven_0x1028_dev_0x0015_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f03) - 5.2.2-0072
Checking ATLAS10K5_073SAS Firmware - bp00
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.

Found firmware which needs to be updated.

Please run the program with the '--yes' switch to enable BIOS update.
   UPDATE NOT COMPLETED!
----

Again, no Broadcom NIC.

> update_firmware --yes will do the update
>
> Which dell_ie* rpms do you have installed?

----
# rpm -qa | grep ^dell_ie
dell_ie_bios-3.1.0-1.3.2.el5.x86_64
dell_ie_nic_broadcom-1.1.0-6.x86_64
dell_ie_sas-3.1.0-1.3.2.el5.x86_64
----

> Did yum install $(bootstrap_firmware) pull down any Broadcom nic payload rpms?

Yes.

> You can try "yum erase firmware-tools" and answer no (or --assumeno) to see all the payload packages you have installed

In the output of 'yum remove firmware-tools':

----
Removing:
 firmware-tools                                                         noarch  2.1.14-4.14.2.el5      installed  884 k
Removing for dependencies:
 BCM5708_Copper_LOM_ven_0x14e4_dev_0x164c                               noarch  4:a07-1                installed  3.8 M
 PERC_5_i_Integrated_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0015_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f03  noarch  4:a09-1                installed  1.4 M
 dell_ft_ie_interface                                                   noarch  1.0.13-4.22.14.el5     installed   69 k
 dell_ie_bios                                                           x86_64  3.1.0-1.3.2.el5        installed  231 k
 dell_ie_nic_broadcom                                                   x86_64  1.1.0-6                installed  5.4 M
 dell_ie_sas                                                            x86_64  3.1.0-1.3.2.el5        installed  916 k
 firmware-addon-dell                                                    x86_64  2.2.9-1.5.el5          installed  180 k
----

> Can you dry stopping the omsa services and running inventory_firmware?

This doesn't seem to change the output of inventory_firmware:

----
# srvadmin-services.sh stop

Shutting down DSM SA Shared Services:                      [  OK  ]

Shutting down DSM SA Connection Service:                   [  OK  ]

Stopping Systems Management Data Engine:
Stopping dsm_sa_snmpd:                                     [  OK  ]
Stopping dsm_sa_eventmgrd:                                 [  OK  ]
Stopping dsm_sa_datamgrd:                                  [  OK  ]
Stopping Systems Management Device Drivers:
Stopping dell_rbu:                                         [  OK  ]
# inventory_firmware
Wait while we inventory system:
System inventory:
	BIOS = 1.2.0
	SAS/SATA Backplane 0:0 Backplane Firmware = 1.00
	System BIOS for PowerEdge 1950 = 1.2.0
	PERC 5/i Integrated Controller 0 Firmware = 5.0.2-0003
	ATLAS10K5_073SAS Firmware = bp00
# srvadmin-services.sh start
Starting Systems Management Device Drivers:
Starting dell_rbu:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting ipmi driver: Already started                      [  OK  ]
Starting Systems Management Data Engine:
Starting dsm_sa_datamgrd:                                  [  OK  ]
Starting dsm_sa_eventmgrd:                                 [  OK  ]
Starting dsm_sa_snmpd:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting DSM SA Shared Services:                           [  OK  ]

Starting DSM SA Connection Service:                        [  OK  ]
----

Andrea Iannucci mentioned in this thread that the server needs to be rebooted after stopping OMSA and before running 'update_firmware --yes'. I can't reboot the server right now to check if rebooting after disabling OMSA makes the Broadcom NIC show up in the output of 'inventory_firmware', because this is a production server. If rebooting after disabling OMSA makes the Broadcom NIC visible to 'inventory_firmware', then OMSA is definitely doing something wrong here...

Thanks,

Nils.