iDRAC Express configuration on R710

Brent Kimberley Brent.Kimberley at durham.ca
Thu Mar 8 10:33:05 CST 2012

Hi Adam,
You may want to take a closer look at your NIC(s).

> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:24:44 +0100
> From: Jordi Clariana <jordi.clariana at atrapalo.com>
> Hi all,
>
> After some days talking with Dell support, they found the solution. It
> seems that some Broadcom NICs don't have the management controller
> activated, so they do not work over lan. The last clue, after a lot of
> tests, was seeing that after powering the server, without turning it
> on,
> the NIC did not get link. The procedure to activate the managment
> controller is this:
>
> 1. Download the Dos based Broadcom utility for the affected system
> model
> from the Dell support Drivers & Download site.
> (Bcom_LAN_14.2.x_DOSUtilities_A03.exe) Broadcom NetXtreme Family of
> Adapters DOS Utility
>

> http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/es/es/esbsdt1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=29DKK&FileId=2731095676
>

> 2. Find the path to the uxdiag executable (example)
> \Broadcom\DosUtils\Userdiag\NetXtremeII
>
> 3. Run the following command:
> uxdiag -t abcd ?mfw 1
>
> 4. After the command completes, the iDrac6 communication will become
> responsive to pings in approximately one minute..

uxdiag configures BCM5706/BCM5708/BCM5709 network adapters.
uediag configures BCM57710 network adapters.

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:21:53 -0600
From: Adam Williams <adam_williams at bellsouth.net>

I have an R710 with an iDRAC6 Express that I would like to use.  The
server does not have a NIC port next to the wrench label on the back of
the unit.  That spot has a plastic blank out piece.  I guess that means
that the iDRAC6 Express runs over one of the standard NIC ports?  In
OMSA 6.5 it shows the iDRAC6 Express configured with a proper Static
IPv4 address for my network, but I am unable to ping the iDRAC6
Express.  The NIC Selection in the iDRAC6 Express is set to Shared.  The
active NIC in the server is the NIC labeled as port 3 on the back of the
server.  Does the network cable need to be plugged into NIC port 1
instead, or what am I doing wrong?

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION.  No rights to any privilege have been waived.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.