Dell PowerEdge 1950: udev hanging on boot on recent CentOS 5 kernels

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.com
Wed Mar 7 16:59:41 CST 2012

Hello all,

We're scheduling a maintenance window to install the firmware updates, but I'd like to ask about the output of 'update_firmware --inventory' again. Running 'yum install $(bootstrap_firmware)' downloaded firmware update packages for both the PERC 5/i and the Broadcom BCM5708 NIC, but running 'update_firmware --inventory' only mentions there is an update available for the PERC 5/i and does not show the Broadcom NIC at all.

According to Andrea Iannucci the procedure is "disable dell omsa, reboot, update-firmware --yes, enable omsa, reboot". Could the fact that OMSA is currently enabled and running cause the Broadcom NIC to not show up in the output of 'update_firmware --inventory'?

Thanks,

Nils.