Setting Service Tag using smbios-sys-info

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 5 14:00:43 CST 2012

Xavier Bachelot wrote, On 03/05/2012 07:49 AM:
> I'm able to set the Asset Tag, but I can't set the Service Tag.
> # smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set=XXXXXXX
> Current tag value:
> Service Tag:

> I had one motherboard fixed using the asset.com DOS tool, but that's not
> convenient in my environment.
> Does anyone have any hints on what is going on or any idea to
> troubleshot this issue ?

Xavier,

Please see:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-September/045275.html
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-September/045278.html

I put some info on using the much older libsmbios "serviceTagS"
utility which may provide you some goodness here, if the newer tool
doesn't work.

Otherwise, i'm not sure. this may rely on one of the kernel modules
dcdbas(perhaps) or dell_rbu(unlikely).  While i would expect that
if said requirement wasn't met, the tool would report such, but
given the amount of status hiding in OMSA tools (lots of low-level
dependencies seem to be dumped to /dev/null or some hidden file
buried in /var/log/dell/foo/bar/...  I guess i wouldn't be surprised
if the tool was simply silently failing to report something.  I
think the decision here was to protect "the customer" from getting
overwhelmed with technical information :-(

# modinfo dcdbas | grep description
# modinfo dell_rbu | grep descript

Good luck!
--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/