Dell PowerEdge 1950: udev hanging on boot on recent CentOS 5 kernels

Austin Murphy austin.murphy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:58:20 CST 2012

Hi Nils,

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)
<nils at lemonbit.com> wrote:
> * BCM5708_Copper_LOM_ven_0x14e4_dev_0x164c-a07-1.noarch.rpm
>
> Now I believe I need to run the 'update_firmware' command to actually apply these updates, but what does this command do exactly? Is this safe to do on a running production server? Does the server need to be restarted for these updates?

Yes, update_firmware copies the firmwares into place.  It goes very
slowly, easily >5min per update.  I don't know how safe it is, but you
need to do it.  It does not take effect until you reboot. You will
also need to reboot (without OMSA starting) before applying the
updates.

Austin