Dell PowerEdge 1950: udev hanging on boot on recent CentOS 5 kernels

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.com
Mon Mar 5 08:10:45 CST 2012

Austin Murphy wrote:

> Update your Broadcom firmware.
>
> See my report on this:
>
>  http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-November/045577.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I first had to wade through lots of wiki pages and trying things to find that the firmware repository is no longer there and that the updates are now in the OMSA repository. It appears the wiki hasn't been updated to reflect this.

After adding the OMSA and community repositories to yum I installed the firmware-tools package and 'yum install $(bootstrap_firmware)' downloaded the following updates:

* PERC_5_i_Integrated_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0015_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f03-a09-1.noarch.rpm
* BCM5708_Copper_LOM_ven_0x14e4_dev_0x164c-a07-1.noarch.rpm

Now I believe I need to run the 'update_firmware' command to actually apply these updates, but what does this command do exactly? Is this safe to do on a running production server? Does the server need to be restarted for these updates?

Thanks,

Nils.