PowerEdge R510 hangs on uptime > 200 days

Ruediger Gunreben rgunreben at isarflow.de
Sun Mar 4 04:18:54 CST 2012

Hi,

we are a company selling R510 with our software based on SLES11SP1.
Last year we were told to update the bios version from 1.3.6 to 1.6.3
due to a bug that systems freeze abrupt.
We experienced this fact in productive enviornment and upgraded all
necessary machines.
But now - about 200 days later the machines / and also other machines
which already had the bios version 1.6.3 crashes without any
notification in logfiles (we also have drac log which keep no
information than unknown system halt (or similar))
The dell technicians (pro support) have no clue and told us it is the
operating system :-( but that cannot be - the uptime is a fact which
cannot be ignored. The systems do their work all day and it's not
reasonable why it is the operating system. Other R510 weren't affected
(yet).
Currently we had 5 real outages and rebootet 15 machines preventative.
But there were about 30 machines out at the customers where we have no
access or cannot reboot due to critical productive environment.

Has anyone similar experiences? Is a bios update to 1.9.0 helpful
(please provide additional information what was fixed that could match
our problem). Is this freeze related to bios version or could there be
other components?
Is there a way to find out what hardware build version of R510 we have?
Perhaps it is a series of R510 which have this error.
We did no adjustments/tuning in bios.

Any ideas are welcome.

Regards
Ruediger