PowerEdge T610 + PCIe WLAN/WiFi card = PCIe training error

Wolfram Schlich lists at wolfram.schlich.org
Sat Mar 3 08:04:03 CST 2012

* Wolfram Schlich <lists at wolfram.schlich.org> [2012-03-02 11:31]:
> [...]
> Next step was to add a D-Link DWA-556 [1,2] PCIe x1 WLAN/WiFi
> card to each of them (I want to run hostapd to create a custom
> WLAN/WiFi access point).
>
> Unfortunately, the system stopped booting with the message
> "PCIe training error" plus the slot I put it into (no additional
> error detail) :(
>
> Dell technical support told me something like the machine
> only supports "active" PCIe cards. WTF?

I received an HP FH971AA WLAN/WiFi PCIe card [1] today,
with this, the server boots up fine (no PCIe training error).

It has a Ralink RT2790 chipset supported by rt2800pci [2].
Now let's see if PCI passthrough with KVM works and whether
hostapd in the VM will be happy...

1. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64274-1130363-64274-3769770-3769771-3769773.html
2. http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800pci

Cheers,