PowerEdge T610 + PCIe WLAN/WiFi card = PCIe training error

Wolfram Schlich lists at wolfram.schlich.org
Fri Mar 2 04:31:36 CST 2012

Hi,

I just unboxed my 2 brand new T610 machines last evening \0/

Next step was to add a D-Link DWA-556 [1,2] PCIe x1 WLAN/WiFi
card to each of them (I want to run hostapd to create a custom
WLAN/WiFi access point).

Unfortunately, the system stopped booting with the message
"PCIe training error" plus the slot I put it into (no additional
error detail) :(

Dell technical support told me something like the machine
only supports "active" PCIe cards. WTF?

I thought all of this compatibility sh** was gone by 2012
with PCIe. I mean, I've had such crap more than 10 years
ago with PCI... history repeating :(

So, does anyone know what this is all about? I'm a bit lost here.

I've already thought about adding an Atheros USB WLAN/WiFi
adapter to the systems, but the Linux carl9170 driver [3] does not
yet support 802.11n master/AP mode.

I could also imagine adding some special PCIe adapter card
with a mini PCIe ath9k compatible WLAN/WiFi card or similar,
but I don't know whether that would work in advance, just
with those D-Link DWA-556 cards :(

Any ideas? PCIe experts around? ;)

Cheers,
Wolfram