dell-dset not running on CentOS 6.x

Mukarram Syed mukarram.syed at 8x8.com
Thu Jul 26 13:05:27 CDT 2012

Hi Poweredge Users.

I am sure someone has asked this before, but I am running dell-dset on
CentOS 6.x, particularly 6.2 and I am getting the error
# ./dell-dset-3.2.0.141_x64_A01.bin
Unsupported OS type, please check the OS support matrix

I tried to change the /etc/issue and the /etc/redhat-release file match a
Red Hat server but no luck:
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 (Santiago)"

Also I tried to old versions of dell-dset namely versions:
# ./delldset_v2.0.0.119_A01.bin
  Skip collecting info for all hardware categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting info for all storage categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting info for all software categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting any non-Linux log files(y/n): n
  Append report filename with timestamp(y/n): n
  Collect various advanced logs(y/n): y
  Do you need to store in a different location(y/n): n
Since the report file path is not specified, the report will be created in
user home
The options selected for the report are:  --advanced -f /root/
error: incorrect format: unknown tag
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 35: pushd: /dset/bin: No such file or
directory
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 36: ./dellsysteminfo: No such file or
directory
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 37: popd: directory stack empty

and

# ./delldset_v2.2.0.122_x64-A00.bin
  Skip collecting info for all hardware categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting info for all storage categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting info for all software categories(y/n): n
  Skip collecting any non-Linux log files(y/n): n
  Append report filename with timestamp(y/n): n
  Collect various advanced logs(y/n): y
  Do you need to store in a different location(y/n): n
Since the report file path is not specified, the report will be created in
user home
The options selected for the report are:  --advanced -f /root/
error: incorrect format: unknown tag
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 40: pushd: /dset/bin: No such file or
directory
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 41: ./dellsysteminfo: No such file or
directory
/usr/bin/dellsysteminfo: line 42: popd: directory stack empty

Dell support has told me that CentOS is not a supported OS with Dell and
they will not write code to support an unsupported OS.
However they have told me that they have a OMSA Live CD but to use that we
need to reboot the server using that ISO, which I am trying to avoid!

As I said, I am sure someone might have run into this issue and might have
resolved how to run dell-dset on CentOS 6.x OS using the binary.
If so can you please share?

Regards

# mukarram