Asset tag Linux tool?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Jul 19 03:58:37 CDT 2012

On 07/18/2012 08:30 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Is there a linux tool that can write the asset tag to a Dell system
> running Linux?
>
> Ideally, a tool that does not care about the flavor of *UNIX (including BSD).

Not sure about BSD, but I'm using smbios-sys-info with RHEL/CentOS. It's
provided by the smbios-utils-python rpm, available either from EPEL or
Dell repo.
It can be used to change the service, asset and property tags.

smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set=XXXXXXX

The trick with this tool is you need to make sure the dcdbas kernel
module is loaded, or the tag won't actually be changed.

Regards,
Xavier