OMSA - Alerts and Notifications

Jim Leek jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 10:44:34 CDT 2012

Hi Libin,

Under "Alert Management" for each System Event I have chosen "Execute Application".

I have then put the path to a script to be run in case of any problem:

For example:

/root/scripts/openmanage.sh 'Watchdog ASR'

Where openmanage.sh is as follows:

#!/bin/bash

###############################

#   OpenManage Error script.  #

###############################

#

# This script allows the OpenManage software

# to send emails in case of hardware problems.

#

# This script will be called with a parameter

# specifying the subject of the error message.

#

# Set up variables.

subject=${1}

sendto="support at example.com"

utcdate=`date -u`

hostname=`hostname -s`

# Build message body.

messages=`tail -100 /var/log/messages`

body="Error: ${hostname} - ${utcdate}\n\n\"${subject}\"\n\n/VAR/LOG/MESSAGES:\n${messages}"

# Send email.

echo -e "${body}" | /bin/mail -s "Error: ${hostname} - ${subject}" ${sendto}

exit 0

Hope that helps.

Cheers,  Jim

Jim Leek