p1p1 on R710 showing up as _p1p1_ under SL 6.2?

Narendra_K at Dell.com Narendra_K at Dell.com
Wed Jul 18 02:57:23 CDT 2012

Hi,

Could you please share the output from "biosdevname -d", dmidecode, "ip link show"  and  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* file contents ?

Also, when biosdevname is enabled, '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules' file is not generated.

Just curious to know if the interface is still renamed to _p1p1_ if you comment the following line from /lib/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules and reboot (ensure the 70-persistent-net-rules is deleted before rebooting)

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", PROGRAM="/lib/udev/rename_device", RESULT=="?*", ENV{INTERFACE_NAME}="$result"

With regards,
Narendra K

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Adrian Allen
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:44 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: p1p1 on R710 showing up as _p1p1_ under SL 6.2?

Greetings;

Subject line basically says it all.

I've tried the biosdevname utility and when I pass it _p1p1_ it responds with p1p1, so that utility appears to correctly determine the needed name.

ip link shows the interface as _p1p1_.  I've tried editing the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules file to correct the name, but it just gets replaced on boot.  I've read through /lib/udev/write_net_rules and I don't really see how it would come up with this interface name based on my understanding of the code (which is admittedly limited).

Also, side topic: Is there some place where the cumulative mailing list archives are searchable? I could not locate one.