UEFI PXE boot

Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:03:07 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Steven Dick <kg4ydw at gmail.com> wrote:

> But what you really need (with or without iPXE) is syslinux (aka pxelinux)
> or some other bootloader (grub) that can actually load an operating system.

Let me clarify this somewhat.

I said you don't _need_ iPXE except to use http instead of tftp.
This isn't entirely true.  I have found that syslinux has some bugs in it,
especially relating to loading very large images, and using iPXE seems to
cover that up, as iPXE uses its own loader (with syslinux on top) that does
a better job.  (But this only matters for booting memdisk with large ISOs,
syslinux alone should be fine for just a kernel and an initrd.)

It is possible that iPXE similarly covers up UEFI problems with syslinux.
I have booted UEFI machines using ipxe + syslinux, but not syslinux alone.
(Just haven't tried.)  Also, the bugs I am seeing might be in bios, rather
than syslinux itself, as syslinux would probably be using the bios pxe/tftp
code to do its loading, or alternately, it would use ipxe's http or tftp
code, and syslinux really wouldn't know the difference.