Problem with bnx2 NICs & latest RHEL/CentOS kernel

George Hills george at brightbox.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 05:33:15 CDT 2012

Hi Ned,

Many thanks for the reply.

Running the latest 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6.x86_64 kernel from RHEL6 I have broken networking, and the output below for both "ethtool -i eth0" and eth1 (the latter  having "bus-info: 0000:01:00.1" instead).

driver: bnx2
version: 2.2.1
firmware-version: 6.2.12 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0

Running 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64 from RHEL6 I have working networking, and the below:

driver: bnx2
version: 2.1.11
firmware-version: 6.2.12 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0

Running 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64 with kmod-bnx2-2.2.1.32.269-1.el6_2.x86_64.rpm from RHEL6 I have working networking, and the below:

driver: bnx2
version: 2.2.1
firmware-version: 6.2.12 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0

So I'm *suspecting* that it's not the bnx2 driver itself at fault, but something else in the new kernel. But I guess no-one else has had trouble yet?

When I run tcpdump under the new/broken kernel, I see CDP and STP frames from the switch, but nothing else incoming.

Cheers

--
George Hills
Systems Administrator