Good idea? Dell MD1000 with 3TB SAS drives using a PERC 6/e controller to attach to a PowerEdge R905.

Laurent CARON lcaron at unix-scripts.info
Mon Jul 16 03:12:53 CDT 2012

On 11/07/2012 17:03, Diederick Stoffers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a PowerEdge R905 and are running out of disk space. I can get a great deal on a refurbished PowerVault MD1000 with a Dell PERC 6/e RAID controller, no disks. Can anyone comment on putting Enterprise grade Seagate Constellation 3TB SAS disks in RAID6 mode in this direct attached storage solution? I think Dell officially only supported putting 2TB SATA disks with a PERC 5/e controller in this SAS/SATA compatible storage array. Will I run into trouble?

Hi,

I did order a SAS 6Gb HBA [1] from dell to plug a MD1000 to it. The
required cable is the following [2]: External SAS (SFF8470) to Mini SAS
(SFF8088).

Once the MD1000 is plugged to the SAS HBA, all the hard disks are
available in a JBOD way (perfect for my MD soft RAID setup).

3TB HDD are now perfectly supported (although I don't expect any support
from Dell should something go wrong with this setup).

Just my experience if it can help somebody

[1]:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/hard_drives_storage/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=corp&sku=342-0910
[2]:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=A3630708&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Laurent

PS: As always in such case, if it burns your house, makes your cat sick,
i'm not in any way responsible for it.