DSET 3.2: OS detection, SFCB service mandatory

Howell, Andrew Andrew.Howell at woodside.com.au
Wed Jul 11 21:00:24 CDT 2012

I had two issues with DSET as well.

1. The same /etc/issue problem. We like many people probably modify /etc/issue in our SOE so using it to detect OS version isn't really a good idea. Dell should use lsb_release and OS specific files like /etc/redhat-release instead.

2. The much worse issue I came across when running DSET in the run once (not install) mode was that it modified system libraries and left them in a broken state.

It changes the /usr/lib64/libssl.so.10 symlink from pointing to libssl.so.1.0.0 to libssl.so.6. This causes any program linked to libssl 1.0 to now segfault.

A run once program like this should either request you have certain library versions installed, or it should be statically linked. It shouldn't modify system libraries and certainly not leave those modifications in place after it's finished running.

This is unbelievable behaviour for a diagnostics program which we should be able to safely run on production systems.

Andrew

Andrew Howell
Unix System Administrator
IT Infrastructure