Good idea? Dell MD1000 with 3TB SAS drives using a PERC 6/e controller to attach to a PowerEdge R905.

Diederick Stoffers d.stoffers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:03:23 CDT 2012

Hi all,

We have a PowerEdge R905 and are running out of disk space. I can get a great deal on a refurbished PowerVault MD1000 with a Dell PERC 6/e RAID controller, no disks. Can anyone comment on putting Enterprise grade Seagate Constellation 3TB SAS disks in RAID6 mode in this direct attached storage solution? I think Dell officially only supported putting 2TB SATA disks with a PERC 5/e controller in this SAS/SATA compatible storage array. Will I run into trouble?

Cheers,

Diederick