update_firmware

David.Harding at brighthouse.co.uk David.Harding at brighthouse.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 09:09:36 CDT 2012

I assume that you have set up the appropriate Hardware Repositories that
"power" the yum-based FW update.

I can't answer to the number of Packages installed, but it may simply be
that there are only 5 major components that require Firmware.
The update_firmware usually does take "some" time; my experience is that
it isn't unusual for it to run 5 minutes or longer on an R300.
The same device reported may be, for example, multiple Ethernet cards,
does that make sense in your case?

Generally, the only Firmware update that requires a reboot, and hence puts
out the message, is a BIOS update. Other FW is updated in-situ.

It might be useful for the list to see the output of your update_firmware
command. You need to specify option "--yes" to make the FW update happen,
otherwise, you just get a dry-run.
You might also run inventory_firmware to see what components it believes
are present, and what their current FW revisions are.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
dave