DSET 3.2: OS detection, SFCB service mandatory

Giulio giulioo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:56:42 CDT 2012

PE-T620, CENTOS 6.x 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64

I'm running DSET 2.2 and I realized DSET 3.2 is available on Dell web site.

I had 2 issues with DSET 3.2 install:

1) OS DETECTION
When trying to instal DSET there's a new OS detection
	OS_NAME1=`cat /etc/issue | grep ESX`
	OS_NAME2=`cat /etc/issue | grep SUSE`
	OS_NAME3=`cat /etc/issue | grep Red`
Since we use CentOS, I had already rewritten /etc/redhat-release to match
what OMSA and other Dell software expect to find in it.

But now DSET looks at /etc/issue instead of /etc/redhat-release,
unfortunately we customize /etc/issue and it doesn't contain "Red Hat" or
"CentOS" strings.

Is looking at /etc/issue the new way all Dell software will use for OS
detection going forward?

2) New service mandatory:
Upon install this is printed on the screen:

	The Small Footprint CIM Broker (SFCB) is a network service that enables
	remote collection of system configuration information.
	To perform the option that you selected, it is necessary to install and
	start this service and leave it running in background for future
	configuration collection
	Continue installing/activating the SFCB on this system to listen for
	incoming collection requests from clients.

Old versions of DSET would allow you to just run the diagnostics to send the
zip file to Dell support w/o installing anything permanent; the new version
not only didn't allow me to do that, but it wants to install a permanent
service (I already have OMSA 7 installed with its services running).
Is this new DSET service really necessary?

Thanks