Using a PCI-E graphics adapter in a PE T410?

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Sun Jul 1 14:02:36 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Just a quick Followup. I'm now running a Quadro 600 (1gb DDR3 Pro card) in
the x16 (x8 cabled) slot of my T410. I let the on-board VGA board active,
which means that the DVDI display will only display something when the
driver loads (for normal BIOS/bootup issues I'll use the VGA head) but it
works very fine, does great 3D and has reasonnable temp readings (around
50C). As for my Xorg.conf, after upgrading to the latest drivers (295.59)
and editing my config file to specify the BusID, it works 'normally'
under X, just like on a normal workstation.

For the record, here's the diff to the 'Device' section of my xorg.xonf
file:
***************
*** 56,58 ****
       VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
!     BoardName      "NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800"
   EndSection
--- 74,77 ----
       VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
!     BoardName      "NVIDIA Quadro 600"
!     BusID          "PCI:9:0:0"
   EndSection

I rebuilt and I'll be uploading my new dkms-nvidia packages with 295.59
shortly to http://vscojot.free.fr/dist/dkms. Here's the pkg list:
-rw-r--r-- 1 raistlin users 90293331 Jun 30 17:18  dkms-nvidia-295.59-8.el5.src.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 raistlin users 63212843 Jun 30 17:19  dkms-nvidia-295.59-8.el5.x86_64.rpm

I did not try one more time to disable the on-board VGA in the BIOS since
my first and only attempt had me resetting the CMOS  to regain the
machine's console (No, I don't habe an iDRAC in my system). I may try that
again in the future since it would be convenient to avoid switching
between VGA and DVI  if I could get everything to go DVI only..

Thanks for all the help,

Vincent