IPMI Over LAN not working

Jordi Clariana jordi.clariana at atrapalo.com
Thu Jan 26 05:21:07 CST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the lan settings for a BMC of a PE R410 server ,
but it seems impossible to make it work. Althought all the settings seems
OK, the BMC is not advertising its MAC, as I have seen in the switch it is
connected to.
The OS is Debian Squeeze, and i installed latest backports kernel
(linux-image-2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64) and latest bnx2 firmware
(bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw). None of this helped.
Here you have some command outputs that can help you to figure out what I'm
talking about:

 # ipmitool lan print 1
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD2 MD5
                        : User     : MD2 MD5
                        : Operator : MD2 MD5
                        : Admin    : MD2 MD5
                        : OEM      :
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 192.168.5.53
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.240.0
MAC Address             : 78:2b:cb:5f:51:83
SNMP Community String   : public
IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
Default Gateway IP      : 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

 # ipmitool sdr elist mcloc
BMC              | 00h | ok  |  7.1 | Dynamic MC @ 20h

# omreport chassis remoteaccess
Remote Access Information

Upgrade to iDRAC Express for increased embedded Systems Management features
to configure Hardware and update Firmware/BIOS with roll back
capability.The Web-based remote management with advanced security allows
power management and troubleshooting capabilities.To learn more on to how
to perform the upgrade, see the Systems Hardware Owner's Manual.

Upgrade to iDRAC6 Enterprise for more remote access features such as
scripting, remote console and media, and a dedicated LAN port.In addition,
iDRAC6 Enterprise supports VFlash Media which enables the virtual flash
feature and will provide even more advanced systems management.To learn
more on to how to perform the upgrade, see the Systems Hardware Owner's
Manual.

Remote Access Device
Device Type                        : Baseboard Management Controller
IPMI Version                       : 2.0
System GUID                        : 4a35374f-c0b8-3580-4610-00374c4c4544
Number of Possible Active Sessions : 5
Number of Current Active Sessions  : 0
Enable IPMI Over LAN               : Yes
SOL Enabled                        : Yes
MAC Address                        : 78-2B-CB-5F-51-83

IPv4 Address
IP Address Source : Static
IP Address        : 192.168.5.53
IP Subnet         : 255.255.240.0
IP Gateway        : 192.168.1.1

 # omreport system summary
sh: /bin/rpm: not found
System Summary

------------------
Software Profile
------------------
Systems Management
Name                       : Server Administrator
Version                    : 6.5.0
Description                : Systems Management Software

Operating System
Name                       : Linux
Version                    : Kernel 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
System Time                : Thu Jan 26 12:08:23 2012
System Bootup Time         : Thu Jan 26 11:31:34 2012

--------
System
--------
System
Host Name                  : api1.atr.bcn
System Location            : Please set the value
Life Cycle Controller      : Capable

---------------------
Main System Chassis
---------------------
Chassis Information
Chassis Model              : PowerEdge R410
System Revision            : II
Chassis Service Tag        : XXXXXXX
Express Service Code       : XXXXXXXXXX
Chassis Lock               : Present
Chassis Asset Tag          :

Processor 1
Processor Brand            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5607  @ 2.27GHz
Processor Version          : Model 44 Stepping 2
Voltage                    : 1200 mV

Memory
Total Installed Capacity   : 16384  MB
Memory Available to the OS : 16071  MB
Total Maximum Capacity     : 131072  MB
Memory Array Count         : 1

Memory Array 1
Location                   : System Board or Motherboard
Use                        : System Memory
Installed Capacity         : 16384  MB
Maximum Capacity           : 131072  MB
Slots Available            : 8
Slots Used                 : 4
ECC Type                   : Multibit ECC

Slot PCI1
Adapter                    : [Not Occupied]
Type                       : PCI E Gen 2 X16
Data Bus Width             : 16x or x16
Speed                      : [Not Obtained, see card documentation]
Slot Length                : Long
Voltage Supply             : 3.3 Volts

BIOS Information
Manufacturer               : Dell Inc.
Version                    : 1.9.0
Release Date               : 10/21/2011

Firmware Information
Name                       : Baseboard Management Controller
Version                    : 1.70

Firmware Information
Name                       : Unified Server Configurator
Version                    : 1.5.0.29

--------------
Network Data
--------------
Network Interface 0
IP Address                 : [No Value]
MAC Address                : 78:2B:CB:5F:51:81

Network Interface 1
IP Address                 : [No Value]
MAC Address                : 78:2B:CB:5F:51:81

Team Interface 0
IP Address                 : 192.168.1.55
Subnet Mask                : 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway            : 192.168.1.1
MAC Address                : 78:2B:CB:5F:51:81

And, if I exec this command on the switch (Dell PowerConnect 5448) where
this server is connected I get this:

# show bridge address-table ethernet g19
Aging time is 300 sec

  Vlan        Mac Address       Port     Type
-------- --------------------- ------ ----------
   2       78:2b:cb:5f:51:81    g19    dynamic

But I never get the MAC of the BMC, so it seems the BMC is not "LAN
responsive" (?).
I also tried a cold reset (ipmitool mc reset cold) with no luck.

Anyone can help me, please? I run out of ideas.

Thanks.

*Jordi Clariana*
*Senior System Administrator*

ATRAPALO.COM <http://www.atrapalo.com/>