Enabling biosdevname on PE T610

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Wed Jan 25 13:42:54 CST 2012

Ok, there must be another step somewhere to get this to work, or I have made
a mistake somewhere.  Here is what I have done (I will post the output of
relevant files below):

1.  Renamed '70-persistent-net.rules'  to  'old.70-persistent-net.rules'
2.  Copied 'ifcfg-eth0'  to  'ifcfg-eth0.old'  and renamed  'ifcfg-eth0'  to
'ifcfg-em1'.  So in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory I now have a
'ifcfg-eth0.old'  and an  'ifcfg-em1' file.
3.  Repeated step #2 for the eth1, eth2, and br0 files using the information
from biosdevname -d
4.  In  'ifcfg-em1'  changed the DEVICE=eth0  to DEVICE=em1
5.  Repeated step #4 for all other ifcfg files as appropriate.
6.  Verified that the HWADDR is correct in all ifcfg files.
7.  In  'ifcfg-em1'  changed the NAME="System eth0"  to  NAME="System em1"
8.  Repeated step #7 for all other ifcfg files as appropriate.
9.  Rebooted the system.

Results:
1.  Upon reboot the system startup procedure responded that :
          Bringing up em1.....Device em1 does not seem to be
present....(Failed)
          Bringing up eth0.old.....(Succeeded)
2.  #ifconfig ... shows that my first network device is identified as eth0
3.  A new '70-persistent-net.rules' file was created in the
/etc/udev/rules.d  directory.
4.  No new rules were created in the  /etc/udev/rules.d  directory.

I did a little more google searching and found a Fedora Wiki article
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming  that
makes the following recommendations to enable the new naming scheme:

1.  Existing installations upgraded to Fedora 15 will not see a change in
names unless /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is deleted;
2.  The HWADDR lines are removed from all
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files, and;
3.  Those files are renamed to use the new device names.

Following this information, and another comment I saw elsewhere, I made two
changes.
1.  Commented out the HWADDR= lines in all ifcfg files.
2.  Commented out the NAME= lines in all ifcfg files.

I then rebooted the system (after making sure to remove the new
'70-persistent-net.rules' file that was created on the previous boot) and
the results were the same as listed above.

I am out of ideas now and am wondering if there is something that I have
missed.  My current relevant configuration files are listed below.  Thanks.

Jeff

ifcfg-em1
DEVICE="em1"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
# HWADDR=78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
# IPADDR=192.168.112.5
# PREFIX=24
# GATEWAY=192.168.112.10
# DNS1=205.171.3.65
# DNS2=205.171.2.65
# DEFROUTE=yes
# IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
# IPV6INIT=no
# NAME="System em1"
UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03
BRIDGE=br0

ifcfg-br0
DEVICE="br0"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
# HWADDR=78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.112.5
PREFIX=24
GATEWAY=192.168.112.10
DNS1=205.171.3.65
DNS2=205.171.2.65
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
# NAME="System em1"
UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03

[root at earth jeffb]# biosdevname -d
BIOS device: em1
Kernel name: eth0
Permanent MAC: 78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
Assigned MAC : 78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
Driver: bnx2
Driver version: 2.1.11
Firmware version: 6.2.14 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
Bus Info: 0000:01:00.0
PCI name      : 0000:01:00.0
PCI Slot      : embedded
SMBIOS Device Type: Ethernet
SMBIOS Instance: 1
SMBIOS Label: Embedded NIC 1
sysfs Index: 1
sysfs Label: Embedded NIC 1
Embedded Index: 1

BIOS device: em2
Kernel name: eth1
Permanent MAC: 78:2B:CB:5C:82:D3
Assigned MAC : 78:2B:CB:5C:82:D3
Driver: bnx2
Driver version: 2.1.11
Firmware version: 6.2.14 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
Bus Info: 0000:01:00.1
PCI name      : 0000:01:00.1
PCI Slot      : embedded
SMBIOS Device Type: Ethernet