OMSA 6.5 does not update RAID/disk status (R510)

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 25 08:17:30 CST 2012

dkms is one of the frameworks for dynamically building add-on kernel
modules when the kernel changes (the other is akmods).  So you've
installed the framework for it but you need to know more about what driver
Michal is recommending.  It's not clear whether Michal meant to look for a
dkms-based driver package for your PERC on support.dell.com, or for some
other package.

On Wed, January 25, 2012 09:02, Michael Decker wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> Thanks for the hint, but could you go into some more detail how this is
> supposed to help me?
> I found the dkms package in my default debian repository and installed
> it - even though I don't really understand what to do with it. It seems
> to be some sort of dynamic kernel module loader, but how does this help
> me? I could not find any mentions of dkms and omsa on the web that are
> related to my problem. To be sure I have reinstalled OMSA again after
> installing dkms - without luck. Also, dkms is not listed in the OMSA
> dependencies as far as I know.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> On 24.01.2012 20:46, Michal Grzedzicki wrote:
>> try dkms driver from support.dell.com
>>
>> __
>> Michal Grzedzicki
>>
>> Dnia 24 sty 2012 o godz. 10:03 Michael Decker <m.decker at fz-juelich.de>
>> napisał(a):
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I ran into a problem with OMSA 6.5 (latest) on my R510 Server using
>>> Debian stable: After installation from the dell Debian repo
>>> (srvadmin-all) everything looks OK at first, but it turns out that the
>>> disk info is never updated again after the services are started at boot
>>> time. This results in missing crucial disk failures among other things,
>>> so this is really a problem.
>>> So far I could find out that I can force an update by restarting the
>>> dataeng services manually. Just as in the boot situation, this will
>>> lead
>>> to a one-time update of information and will trigger warning events
>>> exactly one time as well. So far my workaround is that I restart
>>> dataeng
>>> via cronjob once every hour to get some semi-up-to-date information on
>>> the status of my disks and controller (PERC H700).
>>> I have also tried the older OMSA 6.4 release and it shows the exact
>>> same
>>> problem. I failed to find anyone else having this problem so far, so