Enabling biosdevname on PE T610

Narendra_K at Dell.com Narendra_K at Dell.com
Wed Jan 25 05:53:56 CST 2012

[...]

> [...]
> Kernel name: eth2
> Permanent MAC: 00:1B:21:C5:85:6B
> Assigned MAC : 00:1B:21:C5:85:6B
> Driver: e1000e
> Driver version: 1.4.4-k
> Firmware version: 5.6-8
> Bus Info: 0000:04:00.0
> PCI name : 0000:04:00.0
> PCI Slot : 4
> SMBIOS Label: PCI4
> Index in slot: 1
>
> Now I guess my question is how to most efficiently (with the least potential
> for error) have my devices show the new naming scheme, and make sure
> that it
> persists across reboots?  As I mentioned before, I do have
> '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' present, and I now have
> '/lib/udev/rules.d/71-biosdevname.rules' also present on my system.  I have
> a bridge device for my KVM host, and am only currently using eth0 (but also
> have eth1 on the motherboard, and an add-in card with eth2).  I have not
> updated the OS on my guest VMs yet.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
> DEVICE="br0"
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> HWADDR=78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
> TYPE=Bridge
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.112.5
> PREFIX=24
> GATEWAY=192.168.112.10
> DNS1=205.171.3.65
> DNS2=205.171.2.65
> DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE="eth0"
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> HWADDR=78:2B:CB:5C:82:D1
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=static
> # IPADDR=192.168.112.5
> # PREFIX=24
> # GATEWAY=192.168.112.10
> # DNS1=205.171.3.65
> # DNS2=205.171.2.65
> # DEFROUTE=yes
> # IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> # IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03
> BRIDGE=br0
>
> Could I do something as simple as renaming the 70-persistent-net.rules file
> so that it is not present/recognized then reboot my system?  Would that
> allow 71-biosdevname.rules do it's job?  Based on your comment above I am
> not sure if I also need to manually rename my ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-em0, or
> would just making the 'NAME=' parameter blank in this file do what is
> needed.  I am not sure which combination of actions I need to do, and what
> would be easiest and least prone to error.  Some additional guidance here
> would be great.  I am a little bit of a Linux novice, but am good at
> reading, listening, and learning.  Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Yes, renaming '70-persistent-net.rules' file will be enough.

1. Rename ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-em1 (or the 'BIOS Device' as suggested by 'biosdevname -d')

2. In 'ifcfg-em1'  change the DEVICE=eth0 to DEVICE=em1. (or the 'BIOS Device' as suggested by 'biosdevname -d').
 This is required as network scripts look/process this directive.

3. Ensure the HWADDR is correct.

Similarly for eth1 (to em2) and eth2 (p4p1). The names would be deterministic/same across reboots.

With regards,
Narendra K