Enabling biosdevname on PE T610

Narendra_K at Dell.com Narendra_K at Dell.com
Tue Jan 24 01:59:38 CST 2012

[>]

Hi,

If '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules'  file is present, biosdevname will not be launched.  '/lib/udev/rules.d/71-biosdevname.rules' checks if NAME is already set and will not launch biosdevname if it is set. Renaming the config files  'ifcfg-ethN to ifcfg-emN' and changing DEVICE=ethN to DEVICE=emN  would be required. Also, please ensure that HWADDR field is set correctly.

Executing  'biosdevname -d' will provide details such as what the current 'Kernel name:' is (such as ethN) and what would be the "BIOS device:" (emN) name as suggested by 'biosdevname' and the MAC address information.

# biosdevname -d
BIOS device: em1
Kernel name: eth0
Permanent MAC: 00:22:19:57:5A:0D
Assigned MAC : 00:22:19:57:5A:0D
Driver: bnx2
Driver version: 2.1.6
Firmware version: 5.2.7 bc 5.2.2 NCSI 2.0.8
Bus Info: 0000:01:00.0
PCI name      : 0000:01:00.0
PCI Slot      : embedded
SMBIOS Device Type: Ethernet
SMBIOS Instance: 1
SMBIOS Enabled: True
SMBIOS Label: Embedded NIC 1
sysfs Index: 1
sysfs Label: Embedded NIC 1
Embedded Index: 1

BIOS device: em2
Kernel name: eth1
Permanent MAC: 00:22:19:57:5A:0F
Assigned MAC : 00:22:19:57:5A:0F
Driver: bnx2
Driver version: 2.1.6
Firmware version: 5.2.7 bc 5.2.2 NCSI 2.0.8
Bus Info: 0000:01:00.1
PCI name      : 0000:01:00.1
PCI Slot      : embedded
SMBIOS Device Type: Ethernet