Enabling biosdevname on PE T610

Mikael Fridh mfridh at marinsoftware.com
Mon Jan 23 17:48:31 CST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 02:39:11PM -0800, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I have a new PE T610 that I am configuring for my office, and before I put
> it into production I wanted to make sure that it was using the new network
> device naming scheme implemented by biosdevname.  This box will be used as a
> KVM host with 3 virtual machines, all using CentOS.  I initially installed
> Centos 6.0 in the host OS and for two VM's.  I have updated the host system
> to CentOS 6.2.
>
> [jeffb at earth ~]$ uname -a
> Linux earth.mei.lan 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 23 02:21:33 CST
> 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I have reviewed the Dell Whitepaper regarding the use of biosdevname, and
> appear to have the required prerequisites installed.
> http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/consistent_network_device_naming_in_linux.pdf

[...]

> I have rebooted the box since the system update and still see that it is
> using the old naming convention.

[...]

> Am I not seeing the new naming scheme because I had already made the initial
> system installation using CentOS 6.0, which did not include/support
> biosdevname?  Do I need to manually make some configuration changes in order
> to use the new naming scheme; such as to:

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2, and possibly
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I'm using biosdevname on both 5.7 and 6.2 kickstart installs and I believe
that 70-persistent-net.rules overrides the naming from 60-biosdevname.rules.

Since you've already installed biosdevname you should be good to go:
run biosdevname -i eth0 -> it will show 'em1' or similar

rename ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-em1 and change DEVICE=eth0 to DEVICE=em1 inside the
same files. Repeat for all eth interfaces.

> Would there be any SELinux implications that would need to be addressed
> also?

I don't know.

--
Mikael Fridh             / www.marinsoftware.com
Sysadmin, Operations    / Regus, 8th Floor