OMSA won't work on PE 2850 with Ubuntu OS

Massimo Ianni skylab11 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 16:41:56 CST 2012

Hi, I'm new to OMSA installation on Linux OS.

I buyed a second-hand Dell PowerEdge 2850 and I installed UBUNTU Server
11.10 on it.

It seemed to work fine and I decided to install Dell OMSA using this UBUNTU
Repository: http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/deb/latest/

*After rebooting of the machine:*

*# srvadmin-services.sh status:*

*dell_rbu (module) is stopped*

*ipmi driver is running*

*dsm_sa_datamgrd is stopped*

*dsm_sa_eventmgrd is stopped*

*dsm_sa_snmpd is stopped*

*dsm_om_connsvcd (pid 1461 1460) is running*

* *

*# omreport storage controller:***

*No controllers found***

* *

The web-based GUI shows "Main Chassis" and "Storage" empty, while
"Software" has only "Operating System", that is also empty.

* *

* *

So, I restart the Services and:

*# srvadmin-services.sh restart*

*Shutting down DSM SA Connection Service:  ****

* *

*Stopping Systems Management Data Engine:***

*Stopping dsm_sa_snmpd: Not started ****

*Stopping dsm_sa_eventmgrd: Not started ****

*Stopping dsm_sa_datamgrd: Not started ****

*Stopping Systems Management Device Drivers:***

*Stopping dell_rbu: ****

*Starting Systems Management Device Drivers:***

*Starting dell_rbu: ****

*Starting ipmi driver:  * Already started***

*Starting Systems Management Data Engine:***

*Failed to start because system is not supported***

*Starting DSM SA Connection Service: touch: impossibile fare touch di
"/var/lock/subsys/dsm_om_connsvc": File o directory non esistente***

* ****

* *

* *

*Details of my configuration:***

* *

*Hardware:* DELL PowerEdge 2850**

* *

*System:* Ubuntu Server 11.10 @ 64bit**

* *

*# uname -a:***

*Linux ********* 3.0.0-12-server #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 16:36:30 UTC 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux***

* *

*PERC Controller*:**

Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID controller 4 (PERC 4e/Si)

*OMSA Version*: 6.5

*# dpkg --get-selections | grep -i srvadmin:*

srvadmin-all                                    install

srvadmin-base                                   install

srvadmin-deng                                   install

srvadmin-hapi                                   install

srvadmin-idrac                                  install

srvadmin-idrac-ivmcli                           install

srvadmin-idrac-vmcli                            install

srvadmin-idracadm                               install

srvadmin-isvc                                   install

srvadmin-iws                                    install

srvadmin-jre                                    install

srvadmin-omacore                                install

srvadmin-omcommon                               install

srvadmin-omilcore                               install

srvadmin-rac-components                         install

srvadmin-rac4                                   install

srvadmin-rac4-populator                         install

srvadmin-rac5                                   install

srvadmin-racadm4                                install

srvadmin-racadm5                                install

srvadmin-racdrsc                                install

srvadmin-racsvc                                 install

srvadmin-smcommon                               install

srvadmin-smweb                                  install

srvadmin-storage                                install

srvadmin-storageservices                        install

srvadmin-storelib                               install

srvadmin-storelib-sysfs                         install

srvadmin-sysfsutils                             install

srvadmin-webserver                              install

srvadmin-xmlsup                                 install

*OMSA Daemons*

*# chkconfig --list:*

dataeng   *            *    0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:on   5:on   6:off

dsm_om_connsvc  *        *  0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:on   5:on   6:off

dsm_om_shrsvc    *         *0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

dsm_sa_ipmi       *       * 0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

instsvcdrv  *           *   0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

[List edited to show only OMSA-related daemons]

* *

Can anybody tell how I resolve my problem?

Thank you very much