Problem establishing remote console redirection using DRAC5

Rayford_Johnson at Dell.com Rayford_Johnson at Dell.com
Fri Jan 13 15:04:04 CST 2012

Robin,

While I've not done this with a T300 specifically if it is a DRAC5 then these instructions that I have for a PE2950/DRAC5 running RHEL5 may get you to where you need.

add 'ttyS1' to /etc/securetty for root login, if required

add 's1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS1 57600' to /etc/inittab

comment the 'splashimage' and 'hiddenmenu' lines in /boot/grub/grub.conf

add 'serial --unit=0 --speed=57600' and 'terminal --timeout=5 console serial'
    lines to /boot/grub/grub.conf

append or modify the kernel line(s) in /boot/grub/grub.conf to include
    'console=ttyS1,57600 console=tty0' as parameters passed to the kernel

configure the DRAC5 for Serial Console Redirection by modifying the
    appropriate [cfgSerial] options by running:
        racadm config -g cfgSerial -o cfgSerialBaudRate 57600
        racadm config -g cfgSerial -o cfgSerialConsoleEnable 1

confirm the configuration settings by running:
        racadm getconfig -g cfgSerial

configure the following BIOS settings under [Serial Communication]:
        Serial Communication  -> On with Console Redirection via COM2
        External Serial Connector -> Remote Access Device
        Failsafe Baud Rate -> 57600
        Remote Terminal Type -> VT100/VT220
        Redirection After Boot -> Enabled

reboot

connect to the drac using ssh from a client and run 'connect com2' for
     serial console redirection of the server

          *NOTE:  depending on preference of default display
                    output swap the location of 'console'
                    and 'serial' on the grub.conf "terminal"
                    line and/or the order of parameters
                    'console=ttyS1,57600' and 'console=tty0'
                    on the kernel line(s) in grub.conf

--
Rayford