Problem establishing remote console redirection using DRAC5

Robin Kipp mlists at robin-kipp.net
Fri Jan 13 14:42:44 CST 2012

Hello,
on my Dell Poweredge T300, I'd like to setup console redirection using the built-in DRAC5 and SSH. The basic idea behind this is that I'd like to be able to SSH into the DRAC5 remotely, and then be able to change settings in the BIOS using console redirection.
What I've done so far is the following:
1. in the server setup, under "Serial Communication", I set the external serial connector to "Remote Access Device".
2. Exited the setup and saved changes.
3. Changed some SerialConsole settings on the DRAC, here's what my configuration looks like now:

$ racadm getconfig -g cfgSerial
cfgSerialBaudRate=57600
cfgSerialConsoleEnable=1
cfgSerialConsoleQuitKey=^\
cfgSerialConsoleIdleTimeout=300
cfgSerialConsoleNoAuth=0
cfgSerialConsoleCommand=
cfgSerialHistorySize=8192
cfgSerialCom2RedirEnable=1
cfgSerialTelnetEnable=0
cfgSerialSshEnable=1

Afterwards, I connected to the SSH service of the DRAC using a remote Debian machine and issued this command:
connect com2
It then told me I was connected to com2. I then tried pressing escape+shift+q, however this seemed to have no effect.
Then, I restarted the server in order to generate some output, but the screen remained blank. What am I doing wrong here?
I'd like to get this to work, so any helpful input would be greatly appreciated :-)
Thanks!
Robin