R210 II / new BIOS (1.3.1) file unavailable ?

Nataraj incoming-dell-lists at rjl.com
Tue Jan 10 12:03:59 CST 2012

On 01/09/2012 08:25 AM, Martin Hamant wrote:

> Le 09/01/2012 17:00, George Hills a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 09/01/12 14:57, Martin Hamant wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the support, I can confirm this is not simple at all :D
>>> I have downloaded successfully R210-II_BIOS_JVPR5_WN32_1.3.1.exe from
>>> the dell.com/support , choosing R210II then BIOS
>>> As I have an OEM R210 II the Service Tag is not really usable with dell
>>> database so .... I choose R210 II by hand
>> What does your OEM say when you ask for BIOS updates?
> What do you mean exactly ?
> My service Tag is J00F75J
>
>>> I have opened the archive executable above with 7zip, found the HDR
>>> file. Copied into my linux system, and ran:
>>> $ sudo dellBiosUpdate -u -f PER210II_010301.hdr
>>> blah blah the update successfully staged,  reboot the system to begin
>>> BIOS update.
>>>
>>> I reboot the system. No update happen ? The BIOS is not updated...
>> If you're running RHEL/CentOS, can you use the Linux native update package?
>>
> I am using ubuntu 10.04 LTS... and the native update package just
> doesn't work on it.

I haven't used this in a long time but there is the openmanage livecd, a
standalone bootable CD based on CentOS that you can boot and apply your
updates with.  As far as I know this is still valid.  It appears you can
find a current version at
http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/

Nataraj