idracadm v6.5.0 on r610 centos 5.7: "unable to communicate with the BMC"

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:53:32 CST 2012

Hi,

I have two Dell R610 servers, both running CentOS 5.7.  I would like
to use the "idracadm" tool to modify/verify the DRAC settings.  Note
that these servers have the "Express" version of the DRAC.

When I run the idracadm command, it complains about being unable to
communicate with the BMC.  See pasted info below.

I'm assuming I'm missing something, but not sure what.  I did a little
Google searching for this error; I found some people talking about
having this problem with OMSA 6.2, and doing a downgrade to 6.1 fixed
the problem.  But I was hoping such a downgrade wouldn't be
required... before I go down that road, can anyone offer any
suggestions?  I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something trivial.

Thanks!

# /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/idracadm version
RACADM version 6.5.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2011 Dell, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

# /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/idracadm getniccfg

IMPORTANT NOTE!
The RAC is unable to communicate with the BMC. This condition may
occur because of (1) no BMC is present, (2) missing or disfunctional
IPMI-related software components. Many RAC features depend on BMC
connectivity in order to work properly, and you may see failures
as a result.
ERROR: RACADM is unable to process the requested subcommand because there is no
local RAC configuration to communicate with.

Local RACADM subcommand execution requires the following:

 1. A Remote Access Controller (RAC) must be present on the managed server
 2. Appropriate managed node software must be installed and running on the
    server