Problems with R410

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sun Jan 8 22:42:20 CST 2012

On 01/09/2012 04:21 AM, Tehmasp Chaudhri wrote:
> I'm surprised to see another Dell PE series server w/ this c-state issue.
> We have been dealing w/ this on our *r810 *servers - but from the tech
> specs on Dell's site the Intel series processor on the 410 is the 5500
> and/or 5600. Is that the case for your new r410 servers?

According to the Intel Errata the Nehalem 35xx, 55xx and Westmere 56xx are
suffering from this problem so yes the r410 has this issue as well.

> We're using the following in our grub.conf file on an OEL 5.7 (have used
> CentOS 5.7 prior):
>
> intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1

On 5.x this shouldn't be neccessary as the OS driver doesn't support the
new c-states. Our CentOS 5.7 r410 System runs fine so far without any
modifications it's only the one where we installed CentOS 6.2 that has this
problem.

> We have also disabled c-states in the BIOS.
>
> Good Luck - this c-state issue has been a real pain.

Is there any official response from Dell regarding this issue? Given that a
lot of new servers are going to be installed with RHEL/CentOS 6 that sounds
like something owners of the hardware should be informed of.

Regards,
   Dennis