sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 10:18:46 CDT 2011

Dear mailing list,

Just wanted to report back to the mailing list my finding which I think will solve the problem I described in my initial post (below).

As suggested a few of you guys, I proceeded to a firmware upgrade of every possible component and found by reading the text file of the hard disk upgrade the exact symptom we are experiencing. And one of our disks (a RAID 1 set consisting of two identical WD 250 GB SATA disks) had an older firmware, which I have now upgraded. The problem fixed by that firmware upgrade is described as such:

"Fixed issue causing to hard drives to be marked offline or auto-rebuilding due to a timeout condition."

I am quite sure that this is our initial symptom, so I expect the server to be fine now. I will keep you guys posted in case this isn't the case. But for all the precious help and comments I would like to say a big thank you!

On the other side I am really not happy and very disappointed of DELL's support which in my opinion is a waste of time, resources and money. I can't even believe they didn't suggested upgrading firmwares after having received all the log files from the various diagnostics but rather just said we have to re-install the OS from scratch...

Anyway I hope this fixes it.

Best regards,
ML

I have a one and a half years old DELL PowerEdge R410 server running Debian Lenny (5.0.8) and since last week it started to freeze randomly and displaying many of these errors on the console:

sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here? The server itself and the hard drives are still all green (no flashing orange alarm nothing). The hard drives are both WD 250 GB in a RAID 1 hardware set using the DELL SAS 6/iR card shipped with the server. Not to mention that all the components of the server are original DELL hardware.

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
ML