sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 05:38:26 CDT 2011

For your information, I have been in touch the the DELL technical support (as we have a 3 years standard support contract with this server) and they have been now telling us that the problem is related to a partition on the server and with inconsistencies of the operating system (whatever they mean with that). They told us we have to re-initialize the whole RAID set and re-install the whole system from scratch :(

I wanted first to have your opinion out there, is DELL trying to fool us here or do you guys think this makes sense?

Last thing I will try before that as DELL recommended is to run the Diagnostics from the Unified Server Config (F10 at boot).

Any opinion about this case is very welcome.

Many thanks
ML

I have a one and a half years old DELL PowerEdge R410 server running Debian Lenny (5.0.8) and since last week it started to freeze randomly and displaying many of these errors on the console:

sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here? The server itself and the hard drives are still all green (no flashing orange alarm nothing). The hard drives are both WD 250 GB in a RAID 1 hardware set using the DELL SAS 6/iR card shipped with the server. Not to mention that all the components of the server are original DELL hardware.

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
ML