sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 16:24:06 CDT 2011

Dear PowerEdge mailing list,

I have a one and a half years old DELL PowerEdge R410 server running Debian Lenny (5.0.8) and since last week it started to freeze randomly and displaying many of these errors on the console:

sd 4:1:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here? The server itself and the hard drives are still all green (no flashing orange alarm nothing). The hard drives are both WD 250 GB in a RAID 1 hardware set using the DELL SAS 6/iR card shipped with the server. Not to mention that all the components of the server are original DELL hardware.

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
ML