Bonding, VLAN, Bridging

Reneau, Justin M jreneau at austin.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 23 09:54:56 CDT 2011

We're running some 610s in a datacenter for VM hosting – Ubuntu 10.04 and LVM.  We've got 2 interfaces set up on each host for bonding (mode 4 – 802.3ad on Nexus switching in the datacenter).  On that bonded interface we're configuring 2 VLANs.  On each VLAN, we're creating a bridge for our Vms – one public and one private.

We have the exact setup functioning properly on some companion 1950s, but these systems will not receive traffic at all – not even able to ping the gateway.  We are able to see traffic when we change our bonding mode to balance-xor.

We are reasonably certain that our switch configuration is correct – it is managed by the datacenter network team.  Since we're running the exact configuration on some older 1950's we're wondering if there might be some hangups with LACP and the newer hardware.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any pointers,
Justin Reneau