Problem with 2950 BNX2 Broadcom NetXtreme II and Xen Centos 5.6/5.7 - stalled network transfers

Michael Best mbest at pendragon.org
Wed Sep 14 10:59:20 CDT 2011

On 09/13/2011 12:47 PM, PJ Welsh wrote:
> My 5.6 CentOS 2950 xen test box is a bit different firmware than yours and
> does not have issues.
> # ethtool -i peth0
> driver: bnx2
> version: 2.0.8-rh
> firmware-version: 6.2.14 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
> bus-info: 0000:01:00.0
>
> kernel 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen 64-bit
>
> My Linux guests are using the "xennet" driver if that helps (alias eth0 xennet).
>
> pjwelsh

After trying many many different strategies over several days to solve
this issue, updated kernels, updated firmware, tried to compile the
Broadcom drivers from their site, tried the uxdiag utility to turn off
the IPMI management, the solution that worked for me was to disable msi
in modprobe.conf

options bnx2 disable_msi=1

-Mike