Problem with 2950 BNX2 Broadcom NetXtreme II and Xen Centos 5.6/5.7 - stalled network transfers

PJ Welsh pjwelsh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 13:47:12 CDT 2011

On 09/13/2011 12:00 PM, linux-poweredge-request at dell.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:51:25 -0600
> From: Michael Best <mbest at pendragon.org>
> Subject: Problem with 2950 BNX2 Broadcom NetXtreme II and Xen Centos
> 	5.6/5.7	- stalled network transfers
> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
>
> I'm having an issue with Xen guests on a Dell 2950 that is using the
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet
>
> # ethtool -i peth0
> driver: bnx2
> version: 2.0.21
> firmware-version: 6.2.14 bc 5.0.4 UMP 1.1.9
> bus-info: 0000:05:00.0
>
> Running the 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5xen kernel
>
> In the DomU guests trying to copy files larger than about 1-2 Mb causes
> the network interface to freeze up, resulting in connection timeouts or
> stalled rsync/scp transfers.
>
> A few mailing list postings suggest that this is a bug in the IPMI
> management portion of the firmware and that there is a firmware
> workaround that you can try using a dos cd and utility:
>
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2008-January
> /034356.html
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-bugs/2008-01/msg00003.html
> http://mywiki.ncsa.uiuc.edu/wiki/Dell_PE1950_NIC_Firmware_Workaround
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hardware.dell.poweredge/23276
>
> Is there a linux utility that will do this, or another work around?
>
> -Mike

My 5.6 CentOS 2950 xen test box is a bit different firmware than yours and
does not have issues.
# ethtool -i peth0
driver: bnx2
version: 2.0.8-rh
firmware-version: 6.2.14 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0

kernel 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen 64-bit

My Linux guests are using the "xennet" driver if that helps (alias eth0 xennet).

pjwelsh