sdb:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0

Mario Chancay mario.chancay at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 15:07:13 CDT 2011

Hi, we have a Dell  PowerEdge R710 with 6 x 600 Gb SAS Drivers.  Today we started to notice the following error messages :

sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdb : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
sdb : sense not available.
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdb : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
sdb : sense not available.
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00

The LED displays the following error message :

E1810 hard drive 0 fault. Review & clear SEL”

Need to understand the how to proceed with this kind of error messages.

Regards

Mario