Debian Linux on PowerEdge R210

Brian Knudson bknudson at sigovs.com
Wed Sep 7 13:26:04 CDT 2011

Anyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing an R210 with the following specs:

Catalog Number / Description
PowerEdge R210 Chassis w/up to 2 Cabled HDs and Quad-Pack LED Diagnostics
Intel® Core™ I3 550 3.2GHz, 4M Cache, 2C/4T
8GB Memory (2x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Ranked UDIMM
No Operating System
Onboard SATA, 1-2 Hard Drives connected to onboard SATA Controller -No RAID
1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive
2/4 -Static Post Static Rails
On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter
DVD-RW Drive, SATA
3Yr Basic Hardware Warranty Repair: 5x10 HW-Only, 5x10 NBD Onsite

I'm wanting to install Debian Lenny (5.0.x).  My concerns are for the hard drive controller and the network adapter mainly.  Does anyone know if there any issues installing Debian Lenny on this machine?  I've read some discussions online about the BCM5716 chipset for the network adapter, but that it was apparently fixed in Lenny 5.0.5.

If anyone could provide any information concerning this, it would be most helpful.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Brian Knudson