[C6105] Serial Number

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 7 11:48:58 CDT 2011

Jeremy MAURO wrote, On 09/07/2011 10:31 AM:
> Thanks everyone for answering, I just called DELL, they can't send me
> any tools to do it (trust issue I guess), so a tech will come to set it...

Jeremy,

Not sure if you didn't recieve my message, but this is where you can
obtain the libsmbios kit i mentioned that works fine:

http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/download/libsmbios/libsmbios-0.13.13/libsmbios-0.13.13.tar.gz

Additionally, i just verified that the libsmbios 2.2.26
http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/download/libsmbios/libsmbios-2.2.26/libsmbios-2.2.26.tar.gz
http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/download/libsmbios/libsmbios-2.2.26/libsmbios-2.2.26-3.src.rpm

works as well (so might as well grab that):

zia:sbin# ./smbios-sys-info --service-tag
Service Tag: ZQXZQX1

zia:sbin# ./smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set=ZQXZQX2
Current tag value:
Service Tag: ZQXZQX1

Setting new tag value: ZQXZQX2

zia:sbin# ./smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set=ZQXZQX1
Current tag value:
Service Tag: ZQXZQX2

Setting new tag value: ZQXZQX1

So, indeed you can reset it even if it's already set.

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/