iDRAC6 Console VNC incompatibility??

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Sep 6 17:30:33 CDT 2011

The iDRAC6's KVM viewer is OEM from Avocent, but Dell bastardized it
somewhat.  One of the things they did is make it use Linux keyboard
scancodes instead of the standard X11 keysyms.  This causes all sorts
of bizarre/broken behavior when you aren't sitting in front of an
actual Linux console keyboard, such as your VNC case.  See here for
the details and a possible fix:

http://www.anchor.com.au/blog/2011/03/evil-hack-to-make-arrow-and-sysreq-keys-work-with-a-dell-idrac-kvm-and-linux-desktop/