iDRAC6: undocumented settings for console com2

Arthur Prokosch arthurp at csail.mit.edu
Tue Sep 6 16:12:31 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 06:04:27AM -0700, karasline at yahoo.com wrote:
> Did you by any chance see my post on the iDRAC6 and VNC
> (http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-July/045028.html)?
> I wasn't sure if your iDRAC6 issue was related to mine, but
> regardless, I still can't get the iDRAC6 console to work correctly
> within a VNC window.  Any thoughts?

I did.  Our desire to use a serial console stems in part from how
cumbersome it can be to access DRACs located on a secure network --
which I expect has something to do with why you're having to use VNC.
So I guess in that sense our posts are related.

So, topology:
  A=Sysadmin's desktop  <--->  B=gateway  <--->  C=DRAC

You're using VNC for the link between "A" and "B", then running the
browser/java on "B".  So https and proprietary-applet-VNC are
connecting "B" and "C".  I don't know what OS your intermediate host
is running.  If *nix, you might check X11 keymaps and such.  Have you
tried switching the flavor of VNC software running on A and/or B?

We initiate an ssh connection to the intermediate host with port
forwarding, so that ports 443, 5900, and 5901 pass from A, through B
to C.  That is, if both A and B are *nix/Mac OS:
  ssh gatewayhost -L 443:drac-host:443 -L 5900:drac-host:5900 -L 5901:drac-host:5901 -N
and then on my desktop, I point my browser to
  https://localhost/

Would our approach be of use to you?

-arthur.