flashing generic firmware on raid cards

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex+lists-linux-poweredge at apartia.org
Sat Sep 3 02:25:19 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:27:51AM +0100, Stroller wrote:

> On 19 August 2011, at 10:41, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > It seems Dell now locks their raid cards with firmware that requires
> > "dell" disks.

> > Just wondering if the same is possible on H800 and other recent cards.
>
> Believe this restriction has been removed - update with the latest
> Dell firmware and you'll be able to use OEM disks.
>
> http://www.cmdln.org/2010/04/15/dell-acquiesces-firmware-locked-controllers/

In any case when I tried swapping out the minimal disks (ordered just to
get the hotplug trays) for 3T Seagate beasts they were not recognized by
the Perc H200 card on that R510 Dell server. Smaller 1T disks were
detected however, so I guess the restriction on non-Dell disks has
indeed been lifted. It's just that the card's latest available Dell
firwmare (which I duly flashed) is outdated or obsolete.

So I had to start a mad search for generic LSI firmware compatible with
the H200 and came up (after much trial an error) with a perfect match:

http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx

That firmware flashes fine on the Perc H200, sees all 12 ports and 3T
disks (another chipset-compatible firmware saw only 8 ports).