linux util to create arrays on R710 w/ embedded PERC 6/i

Sean Hennessey shenness at icontact.com
Fri Sep 2 16:50:32 CDT 2011

Ok, here was my trial. I did all the following.

MegaCli64 pdclear -start -physdrv[32:4,32:5,32:6,32:7] -a0
MegaCli64 cfgldadd r5[32:4,32:5,32:6] WB NORA Direct NoCachedBadBBU HSP[32:7] -a0
MegaCli64 ldsetprop name sdd -l1 -a0
MegaCli64 ldinit -start -l1 -a0
MegaCli64 ldbi enbl -L1 -a0

The host OS then saw /dev/sdb.

I tried doing a fdisk /dev/sdb and creating a partition. It seemed to work fine, but when I exited the fdisk, it just hung. ps showed a D state (uninteruptable sleep). stracing showed it doing nothing. kill -9 didn't kill the process. fdisk -l /dev/sdb in another term showed that the changes where there. I rebooted the machine to see if it would fix it, but then even just doing a fdisk /dev/sdb and immediately exiting showed the same thing. fdisk hung.

We where able to put a file system on the partition and write and read data to it, but I'm uncomfortable w/ the fdisk hanging.

I'm next going to try rebooting the machine and using the bios tools to delete and re-add the array to see if that makes the issue go away. Can anyone think of what I did wrong so the next time I can do it hot?