possible bug in srvadmin-base package

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:42:20 CDT 2011

I installed the srvadmin-base package on a Dell PowerEdge SC1435 running
debian squeeze (stable). When I started the dtaeng, it gave me an error
message saying "Failed to start because system is not supported". I traced
it back to the script/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/CheckSystemType. That script
opens a text file,
=/opt/dell/srvadmin/share/srvadmin-omilcore/ClientSystemList.txt. The last
line in that file is 'SC'. The CheckSystemType script greps your system ID
for each line of that file. If there is a match, it returns an error status
code and the dataeng daemons will not start.

Since the string 'SC' appears in the product name of a PowerEdge SC1435 ,
the CheckSystemType returns an error code and therefore, you can't start the
dataeng daemons on a PowerEdge SC1435.

I deleted the line in the text file that said 'SC', and all the daemons
started up fine. I can query chassis temps so I am thinking it works. But I
don't think Dell intended to disable srvadmin for the PowerEdge SC1435, did
they?

Output from /usr/sbin/smbios-sys-info-lite:
Libsmbios:    2.2.13
System ID:    0x01EB
Service Tag:  BQWWTC1
Express Service Code: 25572004993
Error getting the Aset Tag:  unknown error
Product Name: PowerEdge SC1435
BIOS Version: 1.1.2
Vendor:       Dell Inc.
Is Dell:      1

Output from dpkg -p srvadmin-base
Package: srvadmin-base
Section: partner/utils
Installed-Size: 32
Maintainer: Prudhvi Tella <prudhvi_tella at dell.com>
Architecture: amd64
Source: srvadmin-meta
Version: 6.5.0-1
Depends: srvadmin-deng (>= 6.5.0-1), srvadmin-hapi (>= 6.5.0-1),
srvadmin-isvc (
>= 6.5.0-1), srvadmin-omcommon (>= 6.5.0-1), srvadmin-omacore (>= 6.5.0-1),
>srva
dmin-smcommon (>= 6.5.0-1)
Size: 1464
 Meta package that contains dependency information to automatically pull
 in the Server Agent features.
Homepage: http://support.dell.com
root at boole:/etc/init.d#